Local Information

Morecambe Bay Food bank     

To redeem vouchers:

Central Methodist Church, Green Street, Morecambe

1-3 Tuesday

1-3 Friday   


Heysham Free Methodist Church, Emmaus Road, Heysham

10-12 Wednesday  


To drop off donations:

Central Methodist Church, Green Street, Morecambe

10am-11am Tuesdays & Fridays  

 Fixed collections points at Sainsburys and  Asda in Lancaster and Tesco in Carnforth.


 For more information, visit: http://morecambebay.foodbank.org.uk/  

Care and Urgent Needs Scheme

The scheme has replaced community care grants and crisis loans.

Urgent needs award:

Provide an individual with essential items such as food, fuel and clothing.  

Care needs:

Help people to set up home after they have been in care, have to move due to domestic violence etc.


Be aged 16 and over

Live in Lancashire

On a low income  


To make a claim call 0300 1236735

For more information, visit: http://new.lancashire.gov.uk/benefits-and-grants/care-and-urgent-needs-support-scheme.aspx


Council Tax Support    

A local scheme to help people pay their council tax.    

Who is eligible?

You are liable to pay council tax

You are in receipt of an income-based benefit or the guaranteed element of pension credit or on a low income.    

How to claim?

Download and complete a form from the council’s website. Click here: https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/benefits/council-tax-support/     

Request a form by:

Telephone – 01524 582965

Email – benefits@lancaster.gov.uk

In writing – Revenues Services, PO Box4, Lancaster, LA1 1QR    

Visit the town hall between 9-5 and collect a form in person    

For more information, visit: https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/benefits/council-tax-support/      

Discretionary housing payments

What are they?

Payments made by the council where it is satisfied that a person needs extra financial help with their housing costs.    

A discretionary housing payment may be claimed to pay for:

  • Rent deposits
  • Rent in advance
  • Moving costs

Who can claim a discretionary housing payment?

Anybody receiving housing benefit can make a claim, where there is a shortfall between the rent liability and the benefit awarded.

There must be a genuine need for further help with their rent and where there are special circumstances to support that need.  

The council has complete discretion when deciding whom to make payments to.    

How to claim a discretionary housing payment

Complete the application form below and return it to the council with the relevant documentation.

For further information and to obtain a claim form visit: https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/benefits/discretionary-housing-payments/